The Gold Medal Schools Awards Program (GMS) recognizes Utah’s schools that create opportunities for students to eat healthy, be active, and stay tobacco-free.
How to Apply:
See the "Award" information and application page at the Gold Medal Schools Web site.
After completion of award requirements, submit completed application with the handling fee (if applicable).
- Review the award requirements and choose the level you will be working toward. Award levels are:
- Identify which criteria you will be working on.
- Bronze: A school must complete the following six criteria:
- 90 minutes of structured physical activity each week
- Teach the State Office of Education Nutrition Curriculum
- Walk the Gold Medal Mile
- Write and enforce the Safe and Active Routes to School policy
- Write and enforce the Tobacco policy
- Complete the Heart Health Survey
- Silver: Must complete the Bronze and the three following Silver criteria:
- PTA/PTO coordinate one health related event per year
- Implement staff and wellness activities
- Offer a variety of competitive and non-competitive physical activity programs
- Gold: Must complete the Bronze, Silver and the following three Gold criteria:
- All Pre K-12 physical education courses be overseen by a PE specialist
- No food rewards
- Complete four of the nine options from the Changing the Scene Program.
- Platinum: Must complete the Bronze, Silver, Gold and the five following Platinum criteria:
- Strengthen school community council
- Healthy choices @ school events vending machines school stores, fundraisers, and other venues
- Staff/faculty wellness program
- Involve families communities
- Recess before lunch or adequate eating time