Recommendations for Outdoor Physical Activity During Ozone Season (May-September)
The Utah Departments of Health and Environmental Quality have developed recommendations for outdoor physical activity in the summertime to avoid unhealthy exposure to summertime ozone.
- The best time for outdoor summer physical activity is before noon or after 6:00 pm.
- If you are physically active between noon and 6:00 pm:
- Consider light to moderate activity (i.e., walking instead of running),
- Consider indoor activities.
- Discuss physical activities with your doctor, especially if you have a lung disease or heart condition.
EPA's Air Quality Index
Additional recommendations for outdoor activity based on ozone level are available here.
Fact Sheets and Resources
- Recommendations for Outdoor Physical Activities During Ozone Season (May-September)
- Symptom Tracking Sheet - A sheet to assist in tracking ozone levels and your symptoms to plan physical activity.
- Check Today's Air Quality
- Freqently Asked Questions
- Where does pollution come from?
- Tracking pollution
- My lungs and Pollution