Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations
Summary of Key Treatment Targets
Measure/Test Target Frequency Comment
- A1C <7.0%* Test at least semi-annually As low as possible without significant hypoglycemia.
*A higher goal may be necessary for certain individuals from special populations. See page 8.
- Blood Pressure <130/80 mmHg Check at each office visit
- LDL Cholesterol <70-100 mg/dL (depending on presence of CVD) Test at least annually
- HDL Cholesterol Women: >50mg/dLMen: >40 mg/dL
- Triglycerides <150 mg/dL
- Microalbumin/Creatinine Ratio <30 mg/g of creatinine Test annually If positive, repeat test one month later, up to 3 times. Use 2 out of 3 results for diagnosis.
- Serum Creatinine See comment Annually The serum creatinine should be used to estimate GFR; if <60 mL/min/1.73 m2 more frequent testing is required.
- Dilated Eye Exam Normal Annually High-risk should be tested more frequently; low-risk may require less often.
- Comprehensive Foot Exam Identify levelof risk Annually Visually inspect at every visit if significant vascular disease, foot deformities, or loss of protective sensation is present, or if identified as high-risk (see Appendix D).