Smoke-Free Multiple Unit Housing
The Environmental Sanitation Program (ESP) is addressing issues of secondhand smoke in multi-unit housing. Suggest to your property manager or HOA to contact someone at the state or local health department level to discuss what options are available to them in creating a smoke-free community.
The Utah Smoke-free Apartment and Condominium Guide is designed to promote smoke-free housing for Utahns. The Guide contains information for apartment managers, owners and HOAs as well as individuals seeking multi-unit housing that is has a no-smoking policy in place. The Guide is divided into three sections, listed below. Click on each header to access more information.
Sections of the Guide
- Landlord Section - The landlord section includes useful tools to help building owners and managers with the creation of a smoke-free policy and with the transition to a smoke-free policy for their community.
- Resident Section - The resident section includes useful that will assist individuals in protecting themselves from secondhand smoke exposure and finding communities that have adopted a smoke-free policy.
- Utah's Smoke-free Multi-unit Housing Directory - The directory lists rental properties that have adopted a smoke-free policy.
If you would like to educate your manager or landlord about the benefits of a smoke-free policy in your community and the steps on implementing a policy, link to the following:
- Good Health Is Good Business:A landlords guide to increasing revenue by adopting smoke-free policies (2014)
- Smoke-free Housing in Utah (2012)
- Secondhand Smoke: Guidance for Apartments and Condominiums (2006)
- Secondhand Smoke in Apartments and Condominiums: A Guide for Residents
- Secondhand Smoke in Apartments and Condominiums: A Guide for Managers and Owners