Utah law requires that certain diseases and conditions be reported to either a local health department or the Utah Department of Health. Some diseases must be reported immediately while others must be reported within three (3) working days after identification.
To find out which diseases are reportable and the time frame in which they must be reported, click here:
Utah Reportable Diseases.
Diseases may be reported to either a local health department or to the Utah Department of Health, Bureau of Epidemiology.
Reports to Bureau of Epidemiology can be submitted by:
- Secure fax: 801-538-9923
- Secure email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 1-888-EPI-UTAH
The following information is required to be reported with each disease report:
[see the Communicable Disease Rule (R386-702)]
- Patient's name, address, phone number, age or date of birth, sex
- The diagnosed or laboratory confirmed disease or injury
- Date of onset for disease or date injury occurred
- Your (person reporting) name and phone number
- The laboratory results if available and the laboratory that or is processing clinical specimens for this case
- All other information requested by the health department employee taking your report
For questions about disease reporting, email the Bureau of Epidemiology at email@example.com or call 801-538-6191. If any patient information will be included in the communcation, please use secure email.
Printable Reference Materials
- Disease Reporting Flyer
- Immediately Reportable Diseases: Two-sided Card Magnet-size
- Mandatory Submission of Isolates to Public Health
Disease Reporting Resources
- Case Definitions
- Disease Fact Sheets, Investigation Plans, Case Report Forms
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) & Meaningful Use
- Information on HIPAA as It Relates to Public Health
- Utah National Electronic Disease Surveillance System (UT-NEDSS)
- Vaccine Preventable Disease Bacterial Shipping Guidance
- Vaccine Preventable Disease Lab Submission Instructions
- Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists
- Nationally Notifiable Diseases
- Public Health Emergency Preparedness & Response
- Utah Public Health Laboratory