Page 1 | 2Hepatitis B Vaccination Initiative
The purpose of the Adult Hepatitis B Vaccination Initiative is to improve the delivery of viral hepatitis prevention services in health-care settings and public health programs that serve adults at risk for viral hepatitis. The primary goals are to:
- increase the number of doses of hepatitis B-containing vaccine purchased by immunization program grantees; and
- improve vaccination coverage among adults; and
reduce the incidence of acute hepatitis B among adults in the United States.
Twinrix® vaccine, combined hepatitis B and hepatitis A is now available at low cost to persons who qualify. The vaccine is free, but there may be an administration fee charged to give the vaccine. The maximum fee is $14.75 per dose.
Hepatitis B vaccine under this Initiative is available only to people who meet the following two conditions:
1) Individuals who either have no insurance or are under-insured;
2) Individuals who have at least one of the following risk factors for hepatitis B:
- You have a job that exposes you to human blood
- You are a kidney dialysis patient
- You have sex with more than one partner
- Your sex partner has hepatitis B
- You inject drugs
- You live with someone who has chronic hepatitis B
- You are of Asian, Pacific Islander, African American or Hispanic descent
- You are traveling to hepatitis B endemic regions
- You are HIV positive
- You are a man who has sex with men
- You are a resident or staff of a facility for developmentally disabled persons
- You are traveling internationally where hepatitis B is highly endemic
Continued on Page 2.