Fee:Please refer to fee schedule
All clients – Contact Utah Public Health Laboratory prior to submitting specimens.
Sunday - Saturday as required.
- Collect: Biopsy, scabs, vesicular fluid, vesicular swabs, and vesicular tissue.
- Specimen Preparation:o
- Biopsy – Aseptically place two to four portions of tissue into a sterile, leakproof, freezable container.
- Scabs – Aseptically place scrapings/material into a sterile, leak-proof, freezable container.
- Vesicular fluid – Collect fluid from separate lesions onto separate sterile swabs. Be sure to include cellular materials from the base of each respective vesicle.
- Storage/Transport Conditions:If transport time will be ≤6 hours, transport at 4°C. Store specimens at -20°C to -70°C.
- Unacceptable Conditions: Calcium alginate or cotton swabs, and swabs with wooden shaft.
- Stability: For transport keep specimens refrigerated at 2 to 8°C. If transport time will be ≤6 hours, transport at 4°C. Store specimens at -20°C to -70°C.
Detected or Not Detected
Orthopox virus DNA detected or not detected by PCR.
It is mandatory that UPHL be contacted prior to submitting samples for testing.
American Society of Microbiology Sentinel Level Clinical Laboratory Guidelineshttp://www.asm.org/index.php/guidelines/sentinel-guidelines
Herpes Panel by PCR