Herpes PCR Panel (HSV 1/2, VZV)
Fee: Please refer to fee schedule
Qualitative Polymerase Chain Reaction
- HSV: Swabs of cutaneous lesions (including lips, nose, genitalia, perineum and anus), and vaginal, cervical and rectal swabs.
- VZV: CSF, body fluid, or swabs of cutaneous lesions
- Specimen Preparation: Place each specimen in a separate, individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Conditions: Refrigerated. Specimen must be received in our lab within 72 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions:
- HSV: CSF, blood, calcium alginate, dry, or wood swabs.
- VZV: Blood, calcium alginate, dry, or wood swabs
- Remarks: CSF, lung or tissue specimens have not been evaluated on this assay for diagnosis of HSV. Diagnosis of HSV in these specimens should not be based solely on assay results, but should be considered in context of patient symptoms and clinical presentation.
Detected, Undetected, or Indeterminate