Respiratory Virus Culture with DFA
Fee: Please refer to fee schedule
Monday - Friday
Tube/Shell Vial, FA staining
- Collect: Bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL), nasopharyngeal aspirate, swab, or washing, or tracheal aspirate, sputum, throat, tissue (lung, etc.).
- Specimen Preparation:
- Fluid or Stool: Transfer to sterile, leak-proof container.
- Swabs or Tissue: Place in viral transport media (M4)
- Storage/Transport Conditions: Refrigerated. Specimen must be received in our lab within 72 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions:Calcium alginate, dry, or wood swabs.
- Remarks: Place each specimen in a separate, individually sealed bag.
Negative or Positive
Specimens showing CPE, but not staining positive for Influenza A, Influenza B, Adenovirus, Para 1, 2, or 3, or RSV will be sent for referral testing at the CDC.