Your school will meet criteria that are divided into five levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Platinum Focus. As your school achieves new levels they continue to implement the criteria they completed in previous levels. This way by the time a school reaches the Platinum Focus level they will be implementing all Gold Medal Schools criteria from Bronze to Platinum Focus and will have a comprehensive healthy school environment.
There are 277 elementary schools actively participating in Gold Medal Schools. Find out if your school is one of them. See a list of all participating schools.
Examples of criteria include:
- Establish a Gold Medal Mile™ walking program on or around school grounds and a goal for student participation
- Write a policy for all teachers, faculty, and staff that food is not to be used as a reward or as a punishment
- Write a policy mandating a tobacco-free school
- Write a policy that requires a yearly teachers, faculty, and staff wellness program
- See a list of all criteria
Your school will be awarded a cash prizes for each level completed.
- Bronze: $200
- Silver: $300
- Gold: $500
- Platinum: $300
- Platinum Focus: Apply to receive $200
Your school will need to provide a School Coordinator. All School Coordinators working with schools on the Bronze-Platinum levels receive a $1000 stipend to oversee, implement, and support the Program; Platinum Focus School Coordinators do not a receive stipend.
Your Principal will also play an important role in implementing Gold Medal Schools and must agree to support the program.
Resources and support from your Local Health Department and the Utah Department of Health will be available.