Governor Herbert's Choose Health Challenge
2012 Winners Announced
Governor Herbert announced the winners of the 2012 Governor Herbert’s Choose Health Challenge: Department of Administrative Services (DAS) Executive Director Kim Hood (state agency winner) and Rep. Eric Hutchings (legislative winner).
During the 10-week competition, from September 25 – December 6, Governor Herbert invited members of the Governor’s Team, State agency directors, and members of the legislature to improve their own personal health and adopt healthy worksite behaviors to set the example for their employees and the public.
Participants earned points by choosing a goal and signing the “Choose Health Pledge”; participating in Healthy Utah health screenings at the beginning and end of the Challenge; supporting their respective Wellness Councils; participating in Wellness Council events; and tracking personal healthy behaviors like physical activity, nutrition, and sleep.
DAS Executive Director Kim Hood made several key changes in her eating habits and was an active participant at all of the lunchtime hikes organized by the Capitol Hill Wellness Council. The Council also created a team for the Utah Marathon 5k Walk/Run that included DAS employees. DAS observed National Food Day by hosting a Garden Swap where employees exchanged fresh produce, recipes, and gardening tips.
In addition, Kim created a DAS Walk & Talk program for her department that provided employees direct interaction in a casual setting to talk to Kim about DAS issues. As a result, several workplace action items came out of the Walk & Talk events.
Rep. Eric Hutchings focused on getting 30 minutes of cardiovascular exercise each morning after reading a study on the benefits of early morning exercise. After he participated in his first 5K race event, joined by his family, he decided to try and enter a 5K race every week. By training at the Olympic Oval’s indoor running track, Rep. Hutchings has completed a total of eight 5K races to date.
Governor Gary Herbert announced the winners of the Choose Health Challenge at an awards ceremony January 9th. Over 60 Capitol Hill employees attended the ceremony at the Capitol
Board Room - nearly all of them participants of the various wellness events in support of the Choose Health Challenge. DAS Executive Director Kim Hood was the agency winner and Rep. Eric Hutchings was the legislative winner. (Photo: ©2013 Capitol Hill Wellness Council).
2012 Choose Health Challenge Winners: Rep. Eric Hutchings and DAS Executive Director Kim Hood with Governor Gary Herbert at the Choose Health Challenge Awards Ceremony. (Photo: ©2013 Rocío Briceño)
This toolkit is a compilation of ideas that encourage challenge participants to support healthy lifestyles, wellness councils, and worksite wellness; it also serves as a resource for Wellness Councils and employees.
This tracker is full of physical activity and nutrition information and resources; it also contains weekly tracking sheets to record efforts made, review progress, and provide comments.
1) Governor Herbert's Choose Health Challenge was well represented at the 1st inaugural Utah Marathon October 13th. Teams included the Governor's Office, Capitol Hill Wellness Council, State of Utah Dept. of Administrative Services, and UDOH - Highland Drive and Cannon Building Wellness Councils.
2) Department of Administrative Services Research Analyst Priscilla Anderson worked double duty at the Utah Marathon’s 5K Run & Walk event representing her agency’s participation in Governor Herbert’s Choose Health Challenge.
3) PEHP / Healthy Utah Wellness Council Coordinator Leanne Geigle successfully completed the 26-mile Bike Tour at the Utah Marathon.
4) After completing his Healthy Utah health screening, Utah Department of Health Executive Director David Patton signs his Pledge Form committing to the Governor’s Choose Health Challenge.
5) As part of the kickoff for the Governor’s Choose Health Challenge, Governor Herbert takes part in a health screening conducted by PEHP / Healthy Utah Testing Supervisor Stan Moyle.