& J-1 Visa
State Primary Care Grants Program
This program provides access to ambulatory primary care services needed by low income individuals and families without health insurance who are not eligible for CHIP or Medicaid. It also covers primary care services that are not covered by Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, or private insurance. Private non-profit and public organizations that provide primary health care to low income, uninsured, and under-insured individuals are eligible to apply for funds to increase their capacity to serve these people.
for Medically Underserved Populations
Program objectives for the funded projects are to:
Examples of Covered Services:
- Improve the health of eligible individuals.
- Provide continuity of care to eligible individuals who receive ambulatory primary care services.
- Increase the number of eligible individuals served in the target populations (working poor, children, elderly, Native Americans, migrant and seasonal farm workers, individuals with chronic diseases, the homeless, individuals with limited English-speaking proficiency, and single heads of household).
- Increase the number of eligible encounters by individuals in the target populations.
- Increase the organizational capacity of the grantee to provide ambulatory primary health care services to eligible individuals and their families by increasing ongoing and long?term capacity.
- Primary Medical Care Services such as
- well baby and well adult care
- diagnostic laboratory services
- diagnostic X-ray
- diagnostic tests/screens
- family planning, and
- Obstetric and Gynecologic Care.
- Dental Services limited to preventive, restorative, and emergency care.
- Mental Health Services such as
- 24 hour crisis intervention/counseling
- mental health treatment/counseling, and
- substance abuse treatment/counseling.
- Other Professional Services such as
- nutrition and exercise education/counseling
- occupational/vocational/ physical therapy, and
- pharmacy services.
- Enabling Services such as
- case management
- discharge planning
- health education
- interpretation/translation services
- outreach, and
- parenting education.