The Model for Improvement is a framework for applying the five fundamental principles of improvement which include:
• Knowing why you need to improve
• Having a feedback mechanism to tell you if the improvement is happening
• Developing an effective change that will result in improvement
• Testing a change before attempting to implement
• Knowing when and how to make the change permanent (implement the change)
The Model for Improvement is a made up set of fundamental questions that drive all improvement for the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA cycle). Combined, the three questions and the PDSA Cycle are the framework called the Model for Improvement.