The Utah WIC Program will be reviewing our current authorized food list beginning in January of 2014. We will evaluate the eligibility of current products and consider the addition of other eligible items to our authorized food list. Products must meet requirements outlined in the USDA Federal Register 7 CFR Part 246.10, “Supplemental Foods.”
Products included on the Utah WIC Program authorized food list are regulated by State and Federal guidelines. A detailed list of the minimum requirements and specifications for supplemental foods is posted below for your reference.
Additional considerations for inclusion include client preference and cost. Except for cereal, specific brand name food items cannot cost more than 5% above the current average cost of similar (size and type) brand name food items presently allowed by the State. Private label food items cannot cost more than the current average cost of similar (size and type) brand name food items presently allowed by the State (Utah WIC Policy and Procedure Manual, Section H.1, Pgs 3-4). Please recognize that packaging, availability and acceptability of products are additional considerations for inclusion. Brand name products must meet a 70% distribution and availability rate statewide.
If you are interested in applying for inclusion of specific products on the Utah WIC Program authorized food list, please submit the following information to email@example.com:
- The Utah Food Product Matrix (posted below) with the appropriate food sections filled out. All fields must be filled out in order for the product to be considered for inclusion. (Please include any and all private label/store brand products you have that are in the respective categories.)
- List of wholesalers and retailers where the product can be located
- A suggested retail cost
- An electronic image of each product to be considered
- An electronic copy of your company/brand logo to be used in our authorized food list if your product is approved
- Manufacturer contact information
All written correspondence must be postmarked by Tuesday, March 25, 2014. All other (electronic) product information must be received by March 31, 2014.
Products that meet eligibility requirements are not guaranteed inclusion on the authorized food list; Utah is selective about product inclusion to control program costs, thus maximizing the number of clients able to be served by our program. The Utah WIC Program will notify manufacturers of the foods that will be authorized no later than August 1, 2014. These will be published in the Utah WIC Program Authorized Food List, effective October 1, 2014.
For additional questions, please contact Amber Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-538-6960.
Utah Food Product Matrix.xls