A variety of pulse oximeters are available for use in newborns. Important features to look for when choosing a pulse oximeter are:
- “Next generation” or signal extraction technology that provides accurate readings with movement, high ambient light and low perfusion
- Readings that report functional oxygen saturation
- FDA approval for use in newborns
Always choose a probe recommended by the manufacturer for use with the pulse oximeter:
- Both disposable and reusable probes with a disposable foam wrap are available.
- Probes are available in two sizes: neonatal probes for babies weighing less than 3 kilograms, and infant probes for babies weighing 3 kilograms or more.
The CCHD Screening program has a limited supply of pulse oximeters (Masimo Rad-5 Handheld) available for loan to Midwifes. A Rental Agreement is required annually and the midwife agrees to screen all newborns in their practice and report the SpO2 results.
Page last updated