EMT & Paramedic Certification
EMS professionals certified through National Registry may apply for reciprocity to become certified in Utah Completion of the following steps will enable you to become certified in Utah through reciprocity:
- Application - Complete the Application Packet for Certification, Recertification, and Reciprocity (for forms requiring notarization, notary service is available at the Bureau of EMS office).
- Pay Fees: recertification fees
- $50 Application fee
- $65 Fingerprints/Background check
- Total $115
- Fingerprints - Undergo a criminal background check. Application and fees need to be submitted to the EMS office in order to receive a personalized LiveScan form that can be taken into any Direct Access Clearance System (DACS) approved location and will be electronically submitted. Our new Rap Back system will keep your prints and update EMS on any charges that occur. After December 1st 2015 you are required to submit fingerprints to be in this system.
- Photo ID - Hand in either a current driver's license or passport or other ID.
- Submit a photo - This headshot will be used for your EMS ID badge, or the photo can be taken at the Bureau of EMS.
- Submit required certifications -
- CPR - (All Levels) the course must teach current American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines.
- ACLS - (AEMT and Paramedic) Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- PEPP or PALS - (Paramedic) Either Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals (PEPP) - Paramedics ALS course / Advanced EMT's BLS course
- IAED - Only for Dispatch
- TB Test - Submit tuburculosis test documentation (not required for EMD).
- CME Hours - Submit documentation of 25 hours of continuing medical education (CME) as outlined in Recertification Protocol for EMS Personnel. If your initial certification course was taken within the last year, those hours count.
- NREMT Certification - Submit proof of your National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) identification card. The Bureau of EMS will verify your certification status.
Submit your paperwork
Fax     (801) 273-0738
Mail      PO Box 142004
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2004
In person  3760 Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
4th Floor Lobby
Questions? All reciprocity certifications, contact Glenna McClellan at email@example.com or 801-273-6624.
Can another agency fingerprints be transferred to EMS?
No, Utah is a closed record state and cannot transfer background checks from one division to the other.
Updated February 03, 2016