EMT & Paramedic Certification
EMS professionals certified in other states or the armed forces may apply for reciprocity to become certified in Utah. The reciprocity application process ensures that the training you have received is equivalent to the training required in Utah.
Completion of the following steps will enable you to become certified in Utah through reciprocity:
- Complete and submit the Application Packet for Certification, Recertification, and Reciprocity (for forms requiring notarization, notary service is available at the Bureau of EMS office).
- Submit a photo of yourself for your EMS ID badge, or the photo can be taken at the Bureau of EMS.
- Submit proof of your current state (or armed forces) certification or your National Registry of EMTs (NREMT) identification card. The Bureau of EMS will verify your certification status.
- Submit a copy of current CPR course completion. The course must teach current American Heart Association (AHA) guidelines.
- EMT-IA and Paramedic: Submit documentation of current course completion of the following:
Submit documentation of 25 hours of continuing medical education (CME) within the past year. If your initial certification course was taken within the last year, those hours count.
Submit certification fees.
Undergo a criminal background check. If you have lived outside Utah anytime in the past five years, you must be fingerprinted. Review information about criminal background checks.
Submit tuburculosis test documentation (not required for EMD).
After submitting your application and fees, schedule to take the practical exam and/or written exam for your certification level, as applicable. Review information about exams.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Either Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or Pediatric Education for Prehospital Professionals (PEPP) - Paramedics ALS course / Advanced EMT's BLS course
Questions? For EMT and Paramedic reciprocity certifications, contact Jan Miltenberger at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-273-6625. For Emergency Medical Dispatcher reciprocity certification, contact Glenna McClellan at email@example.com or 801-273-6624.
Updated November 03, 2015