What: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will recognize the Bear River Health Department (BRHD) and Salt Lake County Health Department (SLCoHD) with the Loving Support Awards for Excellence for their Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) peer counseling programs.
The BRHD is one of only six agencies across the nation, and the first in the Mountain Plans WIC Region, to receive the Gold Premiere Award. The SLCoHD will be recognized with a Gold Award.
Why: WIC mothers are strongly encouraged to breastfeed their infants. The WIC peer counseling programs are shown to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration among participants.
Who: Interviews available include:
- Sandra Clark, USDA representative
- Chris Furner, WIC program manager, Utah Department of Health
- Lloyd Berentzen, director, BRHD
- Gary Edwards, director, SLCoHD
- WIC peer counselors & staff from each local agency
- WIC mothers who have benefited from the program
When: Monday, August 7, 2017
Award ceremony for the SLCoHD
South Main Public Health Center, WIC classroom
3690 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, UT, 84115
Award ceremony for the BRHD
Bear River Health Department, room 154
655 East 1300 North, Logan, UT, 84341
# # #
Chris Furner, UDOH (801) 273-2918
Jill Parker, BRHD (435) 792-6518
Pam Davenport, SLCoHD (801) 468-4122