(Salt Lake City) – Preventable injuries are the number one cause of death among children ages 0-19. Every year more than 8,000 families in the United States and more than one million families worldwide will lose a child due to a preventable injury. Millions more children are injured in ways that may affect them for a lifetime.
Safe Kids Utah will join the nationwide Safe Kids Day celebration throughout April, May, and June to teach parents and caregivers how to keep their children safe at home, play, and on the road. “Safe Kids Day is a wonderful opportunity for Utah to celebrate kids, learn about how to keep them safe and, ultimately, save lives,” said Cambree Applegate, Director of Safe Kids Utah.
As part of the celebration, local Safe Kids coalitions will offer free safety events and car seat checkpoints throughout the state. Events will be held:
- Saturday, April 29 – Safe Kids Day fair includes entertainment and activities from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Newgate Mall (3651 Wall Ave, Ogden)
- Saturday, April 29 – Car seat checkpoint from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Salina Fire Station (80 N 100 W, Salina)
- Saturday, April 29 – Car seat checkpoint from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and health fair from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Utah County Health Department (151 S. University Ave, Provo)
- Tuesday, May 2 – Booster seat education at 10 a.m. at Head Start (745 E 200 S, Price)
- Wednesday, May 3 – Booster seat education at 10 a.m. at Head Start (150 W Main St, Wellington)
- Thursday, May 4 – Car seat safety checkpoint from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Milford Fire Department (26 S 100 W, Milford)
- Saturday, May 6 – Car seat checkpoint and health fair from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Mountain View Hospital (1000 E 100 N, Payson)
- Saturday, May 6 – Safe Kids Day fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Legacy Events Center (151 S 1100 W, Farmington)
- Saturday, May 6 – Safe Kids Day fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Discovery Gateway (444 W 100 S, Salt Lake City)
- Saturday, May 6 – Car seat checkpoint from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Smith’s Marketplace (7800 S 5600 W, West Jordan)
- Friday, May 12 – Car seat checkpoint from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Gunnison Implement (52 W 200 N, Gunnison)
- Saturday, May 13 – Smithfield Health Days from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Forrester Acres Park (50 W 100 N, Smithfield)
- Tuesday, May 16 – Safe Kids Health and Safety Fair from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Southfield Park (1200 W Midway Lane, Heber City)
- Thursday, May 18 – Car seat checkpoint from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Riverton Primary Children’s Hospital (3741 W 12600 S, Riverton); call 801-662-6580 for an appointment
- Friday, May 19 – Safe Kids Day fair from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Parley’s Park Elementary School (4600 Silver Springs Drive, Park City)
- Thursday, June 15 – Car seat checkpoint from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Riverton Primary Children’s Hospital (3741 W 12600 S, Riverton) call 801-662-6580 for an appointment
- Saturday, June 24 – Car seat checkpoint from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the American Fork Walmart (949 W Grasslands Dr, American Fork)
“Safe Kids Day has one simple, but critical goal – working together as a community to raise awareness about preventable injuries so kids can grow up to do all the great things kids were meant to do,” said Applegate.
For more information about preventing child injuries and Safe Kids Utah, visit http://safekidsutah.org.
# # #
Safe Kids Utah
(o) 801-538-6852 (m) 435-862-8773