Lung Injury Outbreak Data

As of Monday, January 6, 2020, 127 cases of e-cigarette, or vaping, product use associated lung injury (EVALI) have been reported in Utah. Only those individuals who were hospitalized as a result of their injury are counted as official cases. Case counts are updated every two weeks. The next update will be posted Tuesday, January 21, 2020.

The state has also reported one death associated with the outbreak. Seventy-six percent of cases have required hospitalization.

Given the evidence, vaping THC cartridges or “carts” is likely the driver of this outbreak of severe lung injury. The UDOH recommends people do not vape THC cartridges until we learn more.


Most Utah cases are in their 20s or 30s. The median age of Utah cases is 25.


Men account for 75% of the Utah cases while women account for the remaining 25%, which is similar to case demographics seen in other states.


The majority of cases in Utah have symptom onset dates beginning in late July.


Eighty-nine percent of cases self-reported vaping THC cartridges and 60% self-reported vaping nicotine. Many cases also report vaping both products.

Substance# of CasesPercentage
THC Cartridges106 of 11394%
Nicotine Catridges71 of 10667%
Both THC & nicotine60 of 11751%

Data include case reports with missing responses.


Most THC products were acquired through friends, online, and in-person dealers. A small percentage of THC products were acquired at out-of-state dispensaries or purchased at vape shops in Utah. Nicotine products were acquired mostly at vape shops in Utah.

*Data in the above chart are current as of Oct. 15, 2019


The UDOH Utah Public Health Laboratory (UPHL) has been working with state and national laboratories to test products used by case patients. Thirty-nine samples were tested at the UPHL for several chemical compounds including illicit drugs (e.g., opioids, fentanyl, and methamphetamines), cutting agents, and biologic toxins. Of the 39 products tested by the UPHL, 19 were THC cartridges and 20 were nicotine e- juices. Almost all THC cartridges tested contained vitamin E acetate, a known cutting agent. In contrast, no nicotine products tested showed any unexpected compounds.

Samples
Tested
Containing
THC
Containing
Nicotine
Containing
Vitamin E
THC Samples19100%5%89%
Nicotine Samples200%100%0%

*Data in the above table are current as of Oct. 15, 2019