Public Health Reporting for Meaningful Use
Last updated: January 2, 2019
In order to meet the Public Health Reporting Objective for the Promoting Interoperability (PI) Programs and/or MIPS/Advancing Care Information Quality Payment Program, Eligible Professionals (EPs), Eligible Hospitals (EHs) or Critical Access Hospitals (CAHs) may register for the Public Health Reporting Objective with the Utah Department of Health (UDOH).
UDOH Meaningful Use Public Health Program Readiness
|Public Health Reporting Measure||Program Readiness||Data Reporting Standards|
|Immunization Registry Reporting||Ready for active engagement and accepts data.||Bi-directional exchange using HL7 2.5.1, Release 1.5 (PDF) and HL7 2.5.1 Release 1.5 Addendum (PDF)|
|Syndromic Surveillance Reporting||Ready for active engagement and accepts data.||HL7 2.5.1 (PDF)|
|Public Health Registry Reporting:
Electronic Case Reporting (eCR)
|Ready for active engagement and accepts data.||HL7 CDA® R2 (Public Health Case Reporting)|
|Public Health Registry Reporting:
Cancer Registry Reporting
|Ready for active engagement and accepts data.||HL7 CDA® R2, DSTU Release 2|
|Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR)||Ready for active engagement and accepts data.||HL7 2.5.1 (PDF)|
The Active Engagement process is the same for the Promoting Interoperability (PI) Programs and/or Quality Payment Program.
An Eligible Professional (EP), Eligible Hospital (EH), or Critical Access Hospital (CAH) must demonstrate active engagement by demonstrating any of the following:
- Completed Registration: Facility has registered to submit data.
- Testing and Validation: Facility is in the process of testing and validating electronic submission of data.
- Production: Facility has completed testing and validation and is electronically submitting production data.
How to Proceed
If you have already registered and want a status update, please contact the individual(s) listed in the Questions section below for the applicable Utah public health program(s).
Step 1: Register Intent
- Registration is required once for each Stage.
- Use the following link to register intent (or update an existing registration) for Stage 3 Meaningful Use:
Step 2: Await Further Instructions
After the UDOH receives your online registration, you will be contacted and given information about next steps for each reporting measure for which you registered.
The “Meaningful Use Contact Person” listed on the registration form will be the point of contact for all communications from the UDOH. Please make sure this person is ready to respond to the UDOH communications within 30 days–via phone or email.
Meaningful Use Resources
- Centers for Disease Control Cancer Registry Reporting Information
- Utah Medicaid EHR Incentive Program
- Utah Medicaid HIT/EHR Hotline 1-801-538-6929 or send email to EHRIncentive@utah.gov
- Electronic Health Records (Promoting Interoperability (PI) Programs)
- Quality Payment Program
- The Utah Department of Health supported the creation of the Utah Clinical Health Information Exchange (cHIE). Data for some public health measures may be reported through the cHIE. Learn more about using cHIE for public health reporting from UHIN at https://uhin.org/solutions/provider-solutions/.
If—after you have reviewed this information and cited material—you have questions regarding MU Public Health Agency Reporting, please contact the individuals listed below for each applicable public health program.
Cancer Registry Reporting:
Electronic Case Reporting:
Electronic Laboratory Reporting: