Utah - Syndromic Surveillance Meaningful Use Stage 2 (Modified Stage 2) Information for Eligible Providers
The Utah Department of Health (UDOH) supports submission of syndromic surveillance data for Meaningful Use (MU) from hospitals and eligible providers/professionals (EPs) and is ready to accept syndromic surveillance data from hospitals, emergency department, urgent care and other eligible provider types. However, the UDOH is not accepting syndromic surveillance data from some MU eligible providers/professionals types. Please see the list of these eligible providers/professionals types that qualify for an exclusion/exemption (updated Feb. 3, 2016) and need not submit syndromic surveillance data to the UDOH nor register intent for Syndromic Surveillance Meaningful Use Modified Stage 2.
Complete the steps below to register for and attest for Syndromic Surveillance Meaningful Use Modified Stage 2 (SySMU2).
When registering, Hospitals and EPs will need to submit the following information:
- Name, address, and phone number.
- Submitter name and email (this is the Meaningful Use contact person for the hospital/EP). The submitter is the individual that will receive all correspondence regarding the syndromic surveillance MU process from the UDOH.
- EHR software package and version. EHR technologies that meet the certification requirements for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs are listed on the ONC Website. NOTE: Meaningful Use certification does NOT imply that the product meets all Meaningful Use requirements. If your software is not listed, it may not qualify for Meaningful Use. For additional questions regarding ONC approved software, please contact CMS.
Syndromic Surveillance Meaningful Use Stage 2/Modified Stage 2 Objective:
Hospitals and eligible providers/healthcare professionals (EP) must work towards ongoing submission of electronic syndromic surveillance data in a validated syndromic surveillance HL7 ADT 2.5.1 message to the Utah Department of Health. Validated message must meet the most recent PHIN Implementation Guide standards for syndromic surveillance reporting. The PHIN Syndromic Surveillance Implementation Guides can be found at http://www.cdc.gov/phin/resources/phinguides.html#SS.
Syndromic Surveillance MU Stage 2/Modified Stage 2 Steps:
- Complete the UDOH MU Registration Form.
- Validate HL7 ADT 2.5.1 message structure and content with the UDOH Syndromic Surveillance MU program. Test messages can be submitted by using the Online Message Submission Form.
- Work with the UDOH Syndromic Surveillance MU program to set up a transmission interface to submit ongoing electronic syndromic surveillance data to the UDOH. Options include: SFTP, HTTPS, VPN, SOAP web service, HTTP Post web service, PHIN MS and cHIE (UHIN).
- SySMU2 attestation will be complete, once the hospital/EP is submitting ongoing validated syndromic surveillance data to the UDOH.
- Upon completing SySMU2 attestation, the UDOH will send the hospital/EP a SySMU2 memo stating the hospital/EP has met the SySMU2 requirements of ongoing submission of syndromic surveillance data to the UDOH and is in “Active Engagement-Production”.
UDOH MU Syndromic Surveillance Contact
If you have questions please contact:
Meaningful Use Resources
- Meaningful Use Regulation
- Utah's Medicaid Health Information Technology (HIT) Program
- PHIN (Public Health Information Network) Syndromic Surveillance Message Implementation Guides
- Public Health Information Network's Message Quality Framework (MQF)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Syndromic Surveillance HL7 V2 Validation Tool