Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) for Providers in Utah
**Utah is accepting ELR data from Eligible Hospitals (EH) and Critical Access Hospitals (CAH)**
Stage 1 Meaningful Use - ELR is one of the three public health options for EHs and CAHs and is not a Meaningful Use option for Eligible Providers.
Stage 2 Meaningful Use - ELR is one of the core activities for EHs and CAHs and is not a Meaningful Use option for Eligible Providers.
While this site is specific to Meaningful Use, Utah encourages all providers, not just Eligible Hospitals, to consider reporting electronically.
- Stage 1 - EH and CAH must demonstrate the capability to submit electronic ELR data to public health agencies and continue submission if successful
- Stage 2 - EH and CAH must submit ELR data to public health agencies
Meaningful Use Testing Process:
EHs and CAHs must have their information system software certified by an ONC-Authorized Testing and Certification Body. Certified systems can include, but are not limited to: complete electronic health records, laboratory information systems, health information exchanges, or any other system certified by a designated body as a complete system, module, or component of a certified system.
- Indicate your intent to apply for certification by registering for Utah Public Health Meaningful Use at www.health.utah.gov/MeaningfulUse
- Contact Jon Reid (email@example.com) to set up your transmission method.
- Successfully submit a test message using our online submission form
- Receive Stage 1 Certification for Electronic Laboratory Reporting from the Utah Department of Health.
- Download the Spreadsheet of Reportable Events and Vocabulary [v3.3]. This document defines all laboratory events that are reportable in Utah. If you are unable to filter your events exactly as described, you may send non-reportable events and we can filter out and destroy all non-reportable events.
- Download Utah's ELR Implementation Guide [v1.5]. This will help define the HL7 elements that we are requesting in Utah. (This document does not replace the HL7 2.5.1 Implementation Guidance for Reporting to Public Health.)
- Complete the Spreadsheet of Reportable Events and Vocabulary by submitting your test menu, LOINC codes, and vocabulary (if different than the standards).
- Your facility will then be placed into the onboarding queue.
Susan Mottice, Ph.D.